Letter ID: 1182
Reference: BL, MS Cotton Galba D IX f.286r-v
Citation: DCB/001/HTML/1182/008
Date: 13 September 1592
Copy of: 0417



Later Addition: [[Belgia]] 1592 13 September To my L. Treasurer

[[May]] it please your good L. Having moved the states to the effect of that letter, which I had last from her Majestie to be contented to licence our Englishe horseband to accompany the footmen that are going for France, I could obtene no other answear, nor I expected no other, then that which was made to my last proposition, which I sent unto your L. the sixth of this moneth. That it was directly against the Contract of her Majestie. Unto which allegation, I wold [it] enter to replie, knowing nothing wold prevail, to gette their good liking for withdrawing the companies. Howbeit I signified unto them, that there was never no Contract so wrested from the meaning which was first intended by the parties, as that had ben by them as tht her Matie were minded to charge the state in that behalf, it wold be declared in very many pointes. In the meane season to the end they might not so easely, if they were bent therunto, impeache the comming from the campe of the foresaid horsband, al- most 2 daies before I writte to Sir [Nicholas] Parker, knowing none of the troupes to be in better state to be imploied in that service, and himself to be somwhat skilled in the Frenche tonge, for which I thought him the better qualified. Moreover because I doubt lest the states companies that should be sent to supplie their places that are to goe goe for Berghen will not be saide to be so ready, as will be requisit, I have requested them againe in their publike meeting to send their troopes thither in convenient season, lest /if/ the towne shold be disfournished and in convenience growe upon it, the fault shold rest in them. fol.286v

Endorsed: September 13 1[[592]]

[I have also wished Sir Thomas Morgan be-] cause the place is committed, by the contrey to his charge to require it to be don by som letter from himself with geving warnig unto them that if their companies be not com, when they rest must be embarked, they must hold him excused, for any danger that shall happen. Howe the states will resolve for the imploiment of their favors, between this and the winter it is not yet knowen, their army yet remai- ning about the quarters of Coevoerden, and will not remove till ether the Enemie be passed the Rhine, wherof ther is som speeche at this very instant, or the castel of Coevorden sufficiently fortified, which is thought within this sennight will be easely don, through the multi- tude of laborers that ar working about it. I hope that this day or to morowe, the companies of Sir Francis Vere will be com to Roteradam or Dort, and then they will be ready for the very first winde. 13 September 1592